Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Random bumpings

This last week has been busy, but in a good way. A couple slight incidents bear relating:

We stopped at Arby's last Tuesday night. We were planning on taking a quick trip out to Costco to cash in our annual rebate cheque from our Costco AmEx card, so Ames and the girls picked me up from work and we headed out there. The road between work and Costco is pretty solidly packed that that time, so we tried to take an alternate route and ended up way out in the middle of suburban neighbourhoods I didn't recognize. Apparently navigation is something we need to work on...

At any rate, we finally found ourselves, but by that time we were pretty hungry. We were dead in front of an Arby's, so we pulled in there to eat.

We had the pleasure of receiving the worst service I've ever had anywhere. Even by the admittedly low standards of a fast-food chain, this service was terrible. Probably because the people there were apparently incapable of seeing the painfully obvious. At one point in the ordering process, we had this gem:

Server: What type of sauce would you like for your popcorn chicken?
Ames: What are my options?
Server: Barbecue, Honey Mustard...
Ames: I'll have Barbecue.
Server: For what?
Ames: For whatever it was you were asking about.


Or this little jewel:

Server: Did you order drinks?
Ox: Yes, three regular, two large.
Server: Did you get cups?
Ox: No.
Server: Did you want some?

I was speechless.


Then, a couple nights ago, we had dinner with some of Ames' relatives. I love this couple: they're constant fun. But I almost died when he said:
Eat up, Ox, we don't have a cat or nothin'

I still can't repeat that remark without bursting into laughter. I have no idea why that seemed so funny.

My youngest sure enjoyed spending time with her kin. They don't live far from us, but that's the first time we've ever seen them outside large family gatherings. We need to fix that: it won't be long until we're in the True North and those opportunities will be gone.

1 comment:

Ames said...

I am still laughing about Arby's. It was so bad, it is humorous. Then and now.