Thursday, June 24, 2010

Poor Navigation

So I'm in Raleigh, NC this week. I head back to the Northwest tomorrow afternoon. Since I'm so close, I lined up lunch with a good friend in Charlotte. It was what they call a "wild hair": a two-to-three hour drive for lunch, but I figured it might be worth it.

I have a pretty sorry little rental car this week, so between my fear of it dying on the Interstate and a desire for a nicer drive, I decided to take 64 to Asheboro, then 49 to Charlotte:

View Larger Map

But I missed the turn from Hwy 1 to Hwy 64 in Apex. I have no idea how I missed it, but I did. I started getting nervous when I saw signs for Southern Pines, but still hadn't seen signs for Siler City.

Yep, I ended up in Moore County, "on the way" to Charlotte. I was south of Sanford.

I had to call both people I meant to meet and tell them. They both laughed, so there were no hard feelings. But I sure felt stupid.

Gah.

1 comment:

Gwen said...

Yet another reason to move up to the wild Canadian northwest. There's pretty much just one road; if there's bears/moose on it, you've probably gone too far, and if you see Tim Horton's and/or a liquor store, you're two minutes away from the restaurant. Couldn't be easier.

My word verification is "draming," which is pretty darn close to what I'm doing.